In 1891, the great organ was rebuilt in the spirit of those times by the organ-builder A. Terletzki from Elbląg. There were 56 registers disposed in the main part of the instrument, while the back positive (Rückpositiv) stayed empty. In the 1920s, Albert Schuster initiated a new trend in music as well as organ-building. His purpose was to re-establish the grandeur of the Baroque. Neo-Baroque tendencies had an impact on the organ at St. Mary’s Church. Between 1935 and 1938, new instrument was built by the Emanuel Kemper Organ Building Company in Lübeck. 88-register great organ were connected to 32-register choir organ by electric cable, which was novelty at the time. As a result, an organist could play both instruments from one 5-manual organ console. Nevertheless, listeners enjoyed the sound of new organ for a short period of time, as in 1945, St. Mary’s Church was burned with the organ inside. 1985 was a fortunate year for organ music enthusiasts, as new organ made by Hillebrand brothers from Iserhagen was consecrated on 18th August. The instrument hasn’t been rebuilt since then. The most decorative part of the organ is the early baroque prospect (1625-27) that has been removed from St. John’s Church in Gdańsk. The tracker action of 46-register organ is entirely mechanical. Pipes are divided into four sections: Hauptwerk (11 registers), Brustwerk (10 registers), Rückpositiv (12 registers), and Pedal (13 registers placed in two symmetrical pedal towers).
Keyboards have been made of precious wood (African Blackwood) and ivory. The manubria of the register stops have been made from African Balckwood. There are silver numbers (referred to all of the registers) placed on amber gemstone fillings of the manubria. Below the manubria there are silver plates with the names of registers engraved on them.
1. Father Stanisław Bogdanowicz; Dzieła sztuki sakralnej Bazyliki Mariackiej w Gdańsku. Gdańsk 1990
2. Willi Drost; Die Marienkirche in Danzig und ihre Kunstschätze. Stuttgart 1963
3. Werner Renkewitz/Jan Janca; Geschichte der Orgelbaukunst in Ost- und Westpreussen von 1333 bis 1944. Würzburg 1984